Business & Tourism sits within the Economic & Community Development unit of Sutherland Shire Council. The key role of the unit is to support the growth of a pro-active, diverse and sustainable economy, and to stimulate local business and create local jobs.
Each month we send our Business & Tourism Talk eNewsletter to 3000 subscribers. Stay up-to-date with news, events and opportunities by joining our network.
View our current Business & Tourism Talk issue - EOFY 2017
Economic Development & Tourism Committee
Your committee industry representatives are:
- Brett Leonard - Westfield Miranda
- Gary O'Riordan - Gary O'Riordan Travel & Tourism Solutions
- Patricia Carroll – St George & Sutherland Community College
- Con Lyras – ANSTO
- Melinda Tippett – UOW, Southern Sydney
- Jacqui Attard – Realise Business (previously BEC Southern Sydney)
- Diana Lang – Southern Sydney Business Education Network
- Tony Blain – ShireBiz
- Joanne Ryan – Sutherland Shire Business Chamber
- Kane Weeks – NPWS
- A Ward - Cr Michael Forshaw (Chairperson)
, Cr Carol Provan and Cr Marie Simone
- B Ward - Cr Jack Boyd
Make tourism your business
- Connecting you with other businesses and organisations in the tourism industry.
- Expanding your marketing reach and potentially attracting new customers and revenue streams.
- Gaining valuable insights into current and future trends of the tourism industry.
- Participation in educational programs.
- Working together to engender pride and present a place worth experiencing.
Our destination management plan
In October 2015 Sutherland Shire Council engaged The Stafford Group to develop the first ever Destination Management Plan (DMP) for the area. This plan presents a set of pragmatic strategies and actions to better manage the destination for tourism and plan for the future.
The plan is cognisant of the needs of the wider business community and community at large as tourism can't work in isolation...tourism is everybody's business. When people visit the Shire, they bring with them new money. The flow on effect is great for everyone and every business benefits directly or indirectly, be it a hotel, restaurant or boutique.
Visitor accommodation development opportunities
In 2015, 2T Tourism Asset Services were commissioned to provide an update on the visitor accommodation development opportunities in the Sutherland Shire and to work closely with the council's tourism and economic development team to uncover prioritise, encourage and pursue development projects to short term visitor accommodation.
Commercial filming locations
Sutherland Shire Council is a film friendly council providing assistance and permits to photographers/filmmakers requiring unique locations. More information is available here. In addition, Screen NSW provides a database of images to assist in searching for the perfect location which can be viewed here.