We invite you to discover the Sutherland Shire, a natural oasis just 25kms south of Sydney’s CBD.
It is often joked that Shire
locals never leave and there’s good reason for that. Bordered by 200kms of sparkling blue waterways, 11kms of golden sandy beaches and 160kms of spectacular bush, the Sutherland Shire is a destination with plenty to offer visitors and locals alike.
DID YOU KNOW
- Kurnell within the Sutherland Shire was the original landing place of Captain James Cook on 29th April 1770.
- Cronulla is blessed with Sydney’s longest stretch of sand and is the only beach in Sydney accessible by train.
- The Sutherland Shire is home to the Royal National Park. Established in 1879 it is Australia's first national park and the world's second oldest national park - after Yellowstone in the USA.
- Many TV shows and movies have been filmed in the Sutherland Shire including Pacific Rim Uprising (due for release in February 2018), Puberty Blues (1981/ 2012), Superman Returns (2003-2004) and Muriels Wedding (1995).
- The Shire is also the stomping ground of quite a few celebrities including Andrew Ettingshausen, Lara Bingle, Lee Furlong, Matt Corby, Adam Hills, Tahyna and Cheyanne Tozzi, Daniel McPherson, Donna Hay, Mark “Occy” Occhilupo , Warren Brown, Kathy Lette, as well as the band members from Amy Meredith and Tiger Town.